What Does The Study Involve?
- Study eligibility will be determined in an initial telephone screener.
- If eligible, the individual and parent will complete an Intake Assessment with members of the research team.
- The individual will attend 12 individual weekly therapy sessions to address marijuana/alcohol use.
- After 4 weeks of treatment, the individual will be re-evaluated. If the depression is much improved the individual will continue in the treatment for marijuana/alcohol abuse.
- If the depression has not improved, the individual will receive additional treatment for depression.
- Those individuals receiving additional treatment for depression will have a 50/50 chance of receiving either 7 weekly sessions for depression from the same therapist at UConn Health or referral to treatment in the community.
- Individuals and their parent will be asked to complete an interview and questionnaires at Weeks 4, 9 and 14 of treatment and at 3, 6 and 9 months following treatment completion.
- Individuals will be asked to provide a urine sample at the beginning of each therapy session.
WHO MAY BE ELIGIBLE?
- Individuals between 13 and under the age of 22 years old.
- Individuals who struggle with marijuana or alcohol abuse and depression.
- Individuals who are willing to receive, at minimum 12 sessions of treatment to address their marijuana or alcohol abuse.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS TO ME FOR PARTICIPATING?
- There is no cost to you for participation in the 12 weekly treatment sessions for alcohol abuse.
- If it’s determined that the individual should receive additional treatment for depression symptoms, there is a 50/50 chance that he/she will receive sessions from the same therapist at UConn Health at no cost.
- There is also a 50/50 chance that the individual will be referred to receive the additional treatment in the community, based on your health insurance.
- Transportation may also be provided to sessions at UConn Health at no cost, to those who qualify.
WILL I BE COMPENSATED?
- Individuals may be compensated up to $175 in gift cards for full participation in the study.
- Parents/Guardians may be compensated up to $140 in gift certificates for full participation in the study.
- Individuals will receive a $25 gift card and parents/guardians a $20 gift card at the completion of each interview assessment; ~ Intake ~ Week 4 ~ Week 9 ~ And Week 14 of treatment ~ 3 Month ~ 6 Month ~ and 9 Month Follow-Up.